Sunday, July 13, 2008

Thing 23

I want to make sure I cover all the points requested so I am going to go Thing by Thing. Bare with me, I'll keep it as short and sweet as possible.
Thing 1 to 4 - getting started was challenging as just about all Things learned are new for me. I liked the focus on life-long learning. It is a dedication of mine. Creating the Avatar was fun. I want to go back and play with it some more. I did not realize it would show up on my home page.
Thing 5, grabbing a foto and downloading it started to unlock some mysteries - I always wondered "how'd they do that.!
Thing 6 - mashups - woa! I think I could find use of this at some point as I become more saavy. The trading cards were fun.
Thing 7 - Google tools - I had no idea there were so many tools out there.
Thing 8 - RSS - I can see that as I become more comfortable with surfing the web, I can make use of RSS. I need to play with it more but at least when I see the orange dealy, I know what the heck it is.
Thing 9 - Bloglines -Had trouble with this one. Never did get an email back. I did however really enjoyed the "circle of the wise" concept. I had been exposed to this concept before but not quite put in that way.
Thing 10 - Need to revisit this one.
Thing 11 - Librarything.com. Really enjoyed learning about this site. So much to learn....:)
Thing 12 - Moving in and out of web sites and blog sites requires more skill than a person thinks. A person needs to be careful. Much to learn here. Bookeatersclub suggested a spreadsheet of everything learned on 23 things and I think that is a great idea.
Thing 13 - Learning about tags and delicious was one of my favorite things learned for right now. I have already put that to use.
Thing 14 - Technorati - It is amazing how many people blog.
Thing 15 - Library 2.0. Very useful and much to learn.
Thing 16 - Wikis - Important to understand what I did not understand before and that is - what a Wiki is, i.e. Wikpedia.
Thing 17 -Rollyo - Another favorite learning experience. Put that right to use.
Thing 18, 20 and 21 - All of these that including downloading podcasting, video clips, etc - quite frankly where a challenge. Being as web illiterate as I am - I need some 1-on-1 help with these.
Thing 19 - Web 2.0. I did not know I was already utilizing some of these sites.
Thing 22 - NING - Definitely something to look into for a professional related forum or even one based on a hobby.
Overall - I really enjoyed the whole program. At least I have identified my weak areas that require more learning and now know where to start. That in itself is great progress. Something I would suggest to improve the format is to have at least 1 on-site training day once you have gone through the program. Sometimes it helps tremendousely to be walked through some things in the tradition way. The format I would propose for the on-site training is to have breakout sessions that address specific areas that were troublesome.
I would definitely participate in other discovery programs of this type. To some up my experience with the 23 Things - Fantastic, awesome - a must learn experience for all of us utilizing the computer for personal and professional gain and enjoyment.
Now I am off to comment on other bloggers. Ta Ta for now :) .......... :)

2 comments:

VWB said...

Nice review! Cogratulations on a successful summer adventure. hope you will keep us updated with what you do with your students by using your blog.

bookeatersclub said...

Good job and good suggestions. Congratulations!